Polk Education Pathways
  • EnglishHaitian CreoleSpanish

Technical College Enrollment

Assessment is accomplished by completing the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE), which is used as a diagnostic tool to determine completion of a program. Our schools comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1973 in regard to students with disabilities. The schools also strictly adhere to the Non-discrimination Policy adopted by the School Board of Polk County. Reasonable accommodations can be made for special needs students.


Student Services will assist you in selecting a program of study. No appointment necessary; students may see a Student Services counselor on a walk-in basis. Students are provided with information about the school’s career programs including tuition, financial aid and program length. Data on local job markets, pay scales, and limitations (if any) imposed by working conditions are also available in the Student Services Department.


After consulting with Student Services Staff, enrollment is accomplished by completing a registration form.  It is at this time that fees and tuition are paid.  The school accepts payment in cash, VISA, MasterCard, cashier's check or money order.  Student schedule changes are permitted within the first five (5) days of the nine (9) weeks only.  This includes program changes and/or any changes to the student's schedule.


Admission Requirements

  1.   Take TABE assessment, if applicable.
  2.   Complete application in Student Services Department.
  3.   Interview with the appropriate counselor.
  4.   Register for program, apply for financial assistance and/or pay fees (counselor will provide you with admission dates and currents costs).
  5.   Some programs may require additional steps and/or a formal interview with an additional staff member for admission.

Entry Requirements:

  1.   Must be at least 16 years of age.
  2.   Must be a student at the 9th grade level who only needs  limited academic credits to graduate.
  3.   Have a good attendance record.
  4.   Have a good discipline recored.
  5.   Taking the TABE assessment, if applicable.
  6.   Parking permit if driving to campus, if applicable.
  7.   Be responsible for consumable costs as specified by individual programs.
  8.   Complete application in Student Services Department.
  9.   Consult with a student counselor.  All related paperwork necessary for transferring from the home high school will be explained.
  10.   Students must then transfer from their home high school and report to the technical college campus with all required paperwork.
  11.   If all admission requirements are met and space is available, a counselor will register the student for the program.
  12. All ESE students will be directed to an ESE Facilitator.

Students who meet the following career and academic criteria, as well as successfully pass the General Education Development (GED) assessment, Florida Standards Assessment (FSA) tests, and complete the career education program in which they are enrolled, will be awarded a Polk District High School Diploma.

Entry Requirements:

  1.   Students are required to take the TABE assessment and an Interest & Aptitude assessment prior to enrolling, if applicable.
  2.   Students must transfer from their last high school and be 16 years of age or older.
  3.   Students must meet at least one of the alternative education criteria established by Florida Statutes:
    • Retained or administrative promotion, one or more times prior to referral
    • Failure to achieve minimum (or master 80% of basic skills) on state assessment testing
    • Disinterest in school documented by two or more sources
    • Excessive absences 

Parents and students who choose this option agree in writing to the following:

  1.   A regular standard diploma will not be attainable.
  2.   A Polk District High School Diploma may be attainable.
  3.   The primary function of such grade designation is to provide the student with technical job skills.